Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wilkes County



Marker ID: GHM 157-11
Location: Courthouse in Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.275    W 082° 44.342
  33.73792    -82.73903
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2388
Wilkes County  Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Wilkes County, an original County, was created by the Constitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek and Cherokee Cessions of June 1, 1773. At first, it contained all of Oglethorpe, Elbert, Lincoln, and parts of Taliaferro, Hart, Warren, and Madison Counties. It was named for John Wilkes (1727-1797), English politician and publicist, who strongly opposed measures leading to war with the colonies. First County Officers were: John Dooly, Sheriff, comm. Feb. 9, 1778; Samuel Creswell, Surveyor, comm. Feb. 18, 1783; Benjamin Catching, Clk. of Sup. and Inf. Cts. comm. Jan. 2, 1785; Howell Jarrett, Coroner, comm. 1790.

GHM 157-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



Wilkes County Courthouse
Wilkes County
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-11