Historic Markers Across Georgia



Holly Court



Marker ID: GHM 157-13
Location: Alexander Avenue at Water Street, Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.077    W 082° 44.2
  33.73461    -82.73666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RBC
Holly Court  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This lot, originally sold by the Town Commissioners in 1804 to John Griffin, was later owned by Henry Anthony.

This structure combines two separate houses. The back part probably dates from 1817; the front was moved by oxcart from 7 miles out in the County by Dr. Fielding Ficklen in the 1840`s. In this house, Mrs. Jefferson Davis and her two children spent a few days awaiting President Davis` arrival after the fall of Richmond

Dr. James Pettigrew Boyce, Co-founder and first President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Ky., married Elizabeth L. Ficklen here, Dec. 20, 1848.

GHM 157-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



Holly Court
Holly Court
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-13