Historic Markers Across Georgia



Heard's Fort (Early Georgia Capital)



Marker ID: GHM 157-16
Location: Ga 44 at Mile Marker 20, about 1 mile south of Sandtown, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 49.347    W 082° 41.546
  33.82245    -82.69244
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RXX
Heard's Fort (Early Georgia Capital) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Heard`s Fort was designated the Seat of Government for Georgia on February 3, 1780. The Executive Council met and Transacted the affairs of the State in this temporary Capital until early 1781. This designation was made by the governor and Council in session at Augusta, and was necessary because of the danger that City might at any time be captured by British forces who were practically in control of the state. The fort was a stockade built by Stephen Heard about 1774, when he settled in the area. Stephen Heard served as President of the Executive Council of Georgia, February 18, 1780-1781.

GHM 157-16 Georgia Historical Commission 1958




Heard's Fort (Early Georgia Capital)
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-16