Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia



Marker ID: GHM 157-18
Location: Poplar Drive 0.4 mile south of US 78/Ga 10, Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.36    W 082° 43.945
  33.73934    -82.73241
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RBJ
First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In the shade of a giant poplar tree which stood 200 feet East of this spot, on the 22nd of July, 1790, the Rev. John Springer was ordained to the Presbyterian ministry and installed Pastor of Smyrna, Providence and Washington churches. This was the first Presbyterian ordination held in Georgia. A commission from the Presbytery of South Carolina conducted the service, with the Rev. Robert Hall preaching the ordination sermon and the Rev. Francis Cummins presiding and giving the charge.

The tree, always afterward known as the Presbyterian Poplar, stood for more than 150 years after the ordination.

GHM 157-18 Georgia Historical Commission 1958




First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-18