Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Dugas Home



Marker ID: GHM 157-2
Location: Opposite 308 E. Robert Toombs Ave, Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.172    W 082° 43.921
  33.7362    -82.73202
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6T6K
Historic Dugas Home  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This home was built by Mr. and Mrs. Louis Dugas, French refugees from Santo Domingo, in the early 1790s. Here, until 1810, Mrs. Dugas conducted the Boarding School For Select Young Ladies which was attended by the daughters of many of Georgia`s outstanding early settlers. In this home was born Louis Alexander Dugas (1806-98) who became one of the State`s most distinguished physicians and surgeons. Educated at home, he studied medicine under Dr. John Dent, later was graduated from the University of Maryland, and after spending some time in Europe as a student returned to settle in Augusta, Georgia. A founder of the Medical College of Georgia, Dr. Dugas was for many years Professor of Surgery there. He was President of the Medical Society of Augusta and of the Medical Association of Georgia, and from 1851 to 1858 edited the Southern Medical and Surgical Journal. During the War Between the States he served as Volunteer and Consulting Surgeon of Military Hospitals.

In later years this home was occupied by Dr. Thomas Dunwoody, distinguished Presbyterian minister, pastor of the Washington Presbyterian Church.

GHM 157-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961



Historic Dugas Home and Mark
Historic Dugas Home
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-2