Historic Markers Across Georgia



Grant's Meeting House



Marker ID: GHM 157-25
Location: Ga 80, 1.4 miles south of junction with US 78
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 40.868    W 082° 41.011
  33.68114    -82.68352
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R9F
Grant's Meeting House Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On this site the first Methodist church building in Georgia was erected in 1787. Daniel grant and his son, Thomas, prosperous merchants of this area, were its builders. Bishop Asbury often visited the Grants at their home nearby, on his trips through Georgia, and in the church here he held, the second and third Methodist conferences in the State, in 1789, and 1790.

Thomas Grant was for many years a prominent Methodist layman in Georgia.

GHM 157-25 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



Grant's Meeting House Marker
Grant's Meeting House
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-25