Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fishing Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 157-26
Location: About 1/4 mile west of Ga 44 at Sandtown
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 50.257    W 082° 41.605
  33.83761    -82.69341
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RXQ
Fishing Creek Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Fishing Creek Baptist Church, the second of this denomination to be constituted in the upcountry of Georgia, was organized in 1782, under the leadership of the Rev. Sanders Walker, who became its first pastor. It was one of five churches represented at a meeting held at Kiokee in October, 1784, to organize the Georgia Baptist Association. In May 1786, the Association met at Fishing Creek. The original church building stood a short distance from this site.

GHM 157-26 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



Fishing Creek Baptist Church
Fishing Creek Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

157-26