Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Wilkes County Academy



Marker ID: GHM 157-27
Location: US 78B/Ga 10B near Ga 44 in Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.298    W 082° 45.01
  33.7383    -82.75016
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RFD
Site of Wilkes County Academy  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This is the site of Wilkes County Academy, built in 1797, The Academy was authorized by the Legislature in 1783, one of the first public schools charted by the State of Georgia. Commissioners were: Stephen Heard, Micajah Williamson, Robert Harper, Daniel Coleman, and Zachariah Lamar. Samuel Blackburn was the first teacher. Classes were held in rented houses until 1797, when with funds raised by public subscription, a commodious two story brick building was erected for an Academy and church. The Academy was in active use until 1824, when it was torn down and the school removed to a location nearer the business section of Washington.

GHM 157-27 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



Wilkes County Academy
Site of Wilkes County Academy
Photo by Ken Moser



 

157-27