Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gilbert-Alexander House



Marker ID: GHM 157-3
Location: Alexander Drive near Alexander Street, Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.335    W 082° 44.122
  33.73892    -82.73537
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RBK
Gilbert-Alexander House  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In the 1780s Felix and William Gilbert, Virginians, camped in a beautiful grove here and were so pleased with the scenery that they returned later to take land grants. In 1808 they erected the brick portion of this house, one of the oldest brick structures north of Augusta. Their descendents are the only families who have occupied it. The burial grounds on the property attest the continuity of the family for more than 150 years.

The Alexanders, descendants of the Gilberts, served with distinction in the war Between the States. Porter Alexander, who lived here, was a Brigadier general in the Confederate Army.

GHM 157-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



Gilbert-Alexander House
Gilbert-Alexander House
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-3