Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Cedars



Marker ID: GHM 157-6
Location: Sims Street at North Jefferson Street, Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.449    W 082° 44.265
  33.74081    -82.73775
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RFE
The Cedars  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The high hill on which The Cedars stands was a home - site for the Indians before the arrival of white men. Not long after the Revolutionary War, Anthony Poulin, a Frenchman of noble Birth who came to the aid of the Georgians against the British, built The Cedars. His son, Dr. T. N. Poulin, accompanied Lafayette on his visit to Georgia in 1825 as a personal physician.

There are 20 rooms in the present house, two kitchens and parlors stretching to 90 feet. In the spacious dinning room are many panes of handblown glass. A cabinet contains a pair of Gen. Cornwallis´s knee buckles.

GHM 157-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



The Cedars
The Cedars
Photo by Ken Moser



 

157-6