Historic Markers Across Georgia



Smyrna Churchyard



Marker ID: GHM 157-7
Location: US 378/Ga 47 about 5 miles southeast of Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 42.892    W 082° 39.273
  33.71486    -82.65455
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3MMH
Smyrna Churchyard  Marker
Photo by AGS Media



Text:

This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Early of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served as a Superior Court judge, President of the Georgia Senate in 1811, 1817- 22, and as Governor of Georgia from Oct. 24 to Nov. 5, 1819. Both are buried here.

W.H.T Walker, Confederate General killed in the Battle of Atlanta, was a descendant of Sir John Talbot.

The Presbyterians moved to a new building in Washington in 1825.

GHM 157-7 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

157-7