Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: 3.2 mi N of Tignall on Ga 17, then R 3.8 mi, then R 0.2
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 56.661    W 082° 42.379
  33.94435    -82.70632
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7J96
Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Methodist Society, which was later organized into Pope´s Chapel Church, was first organized in August 1786 by Thomas Humphries at the home of James Marks located in what is now Elbert County about 1 ½ miles Northeast of Baker´s Ferry on Broad River. When Elbert County was formed in 1790 from Wilkes County it left most of the church members in Wilkes County, so the church was moved south into Wilkes and located about two mile from Broad River on property owned by John Landrum adjoining his birthplace on the east side of Baker´s Ferry Road. It was in this location that it received its name, in honor of Rev. Henry Pope who supplied most of the timber for the building. Bishop Asbury preached the Dedication Sermon there in 1805. In 1852 the church was again moved about 2 miles southeast to its present location. In 1871 Trustees of the church were Benjamin W. Fortson, M. T. Cash, Augustus A. Neal and James W. Boyd. A second building was constructed here in 1897 in which 2 stained glass windows were installed as a memorial to Benjamin Winn Fortson. And his wife Hanna Rebecca Ogilvie by their children. The Dedication Sermon was preached by Lundye Harris in 1898. This building, severely damaged by windstorms was replaced in 1957 by the present building.

Tignall United Methodist Church



Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church
Pope's Chapel United Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

157-A2