Historic Markers Across Georgia



Smyrna Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 100 S Smyrna Church Rd, Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 42.871    W 082° 39.283
  33.71451666    -82.65471666
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Smyrna Methodist Church

[Front]
Organized in 1785 or 86 by two Presbyterian ministers, Rev. John Newton & Rev. John Simpson. First house of worship erected in 1793 on land given by Sir John Talbot. In 1820 Presbyterian membership transferred to Washington and offered Smyrna to the Methodists. Regular church services have been held on this site without interruption since 1793.

[Reverse]
Erected in 1964 in honor and memory of Mr. & Mrs. E.E. McMekin by daughters Ruth M. Rogers and Louise M. Drennan



 

 

157-A31