Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mary Willis Library



Marker ID: GHS 157-1
Location: at 204 East Liberty St., Washington, GA
County: Wilkes
Coordinates: N 33° 44.143    W 082° 44.289
  33.73571    -82.73815
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R9H
Mary Willis Library  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This library was Georgia`s first free (without a subscription fee) public library. Founded in 1888 by Dr. Francis T. Willis in memory of his daughter, it opened in 1889. Willis also created an endowment for the library and donated his personal collection of books. Atlanta architect Edmund Lind designed the building in the Queen Anne style and the central memorial window was made by Tiffany Studios. The library operated as a privately-endowed institution until 1967 when it became part of the regional library system. Annexes were added in 1977 and 1991.

2000.1 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Friends of Mary Willis Library. 157-1




Mary Willis Library
Photo by David Seibert



 

157-HS1