Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ball's Ferry



Marker ID: GHM 158-11
Location: Ga 57 at the Oconee River, Toomsboro, GA
County: Washington
Coordinates: N 32° 46.933    W 082° 56.799
  32.78221666    -82.94665
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Ball's Ferry Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On Nov. 23, 1864, Maj. Gen. C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia, was in Oconee (No. 14, CRR), 10 miles N. with a mixed force [Confederate] of 1200 men and 6 guns (including the Corps of Cadets, Georgia Military Institute) to defend the RR bridge over the Oconee River against forays from Gen. Sherman´s army [Federal]. Learning that enemy cavalry. had reached Ball´s Ferry (1/4 mile N), crossed on rafts, and driven back the Confederate pickets guarding the stream, he sent Maj. A. L. Hartridge, CSA, with 2 companies of cavalry, 80 infantry and 2 guns to drive the enemy back across the river.

Hartridge reached the vicinity about 3:00 p.m., deployed his small force, and, after fighting through the swamps east of the river, routed the enemy. He entrenched a position along the east bank, then returned to Oconee with part of his command.

On the 25th, Lt. Col. Andrew Young, 30th Ga. Bn., arrived with a detachment of Gaines´ Alabama cavalry and assumed command. The works were strengthened and skirmishers were deployed on both flanks, but the arrival of the west bank of strong enemy columns, with artillery, soon made the position un tenable. Upon reporting that the enemy was crossing the river below and above him, he was ordered to ex tricate his command and withdrew to Tennille. There he was joined early on the 26th by Gen. Wayne and the main body, which had been flanked out of its position at the bridge.

GHM 158-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION




Ball's Ferry
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

This marker has been moved. The marker was originally erected on the west bank of the Oconee River in Wilkinson County and carries that number (County 158). When the bridge was reconstructed a few year ago the marker was reinstalled in a more appropriate location on the east bank of the river, which puts it in Washington County. The marker was not renumbered to reflect its new

 

158-11