Historic Markers Across Georgia



McIntyre



Marker ID: GHM 158-5
Location: Ga 57 just west of Irwinton, GA
County: Wilkinson
Coordinates: N 32° 49.404    W 083° 12.679
  32.82339749    -83.21132235
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8192
McIntyre Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On the night of Nov. 23, 1864, Hq. 17th Corps [USA] , Maj. Gen. F. P. Blair, USA, was established at McIntyre (old Station No. 16, CRR), 2 miles NE, after moving forward from Gordon (old No. 17) where the Left Wing of Gen. Sherman´s Army had concentrated, beginning on the 21st, to prepare for the second phase of its destructive March to the Sea.

That day, G.A. Smith´s division, preceded by the 1st Alabama [USA], had advanced through Toomsboro to the RR bridge over the Oconee River and skirmished with the defenders [CSA]. Other elements of the 17th Corps destroyed the railroad through McIntyre and burned the bridge over Commissioner Creek.

GHM 158-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

158-5