Historic Markers Across Georgia



Worth County



Marker ID: GHM 159-1
Location: Courthouse in Sylvester, GA
County: Worth
Coordinates: N 31° 31.663    W 083° 50.143
  31.52772446    -83.83571471
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM85MF
Worth County Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 20, 1853 is named for Maj. Gen. Wm. J. Worth of Mexican War fame under whose command served Maj. William A. Harris, a leader in the organization of the new County. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James G. Brown, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Wm. A. Johnston, Ordinary James M. Ford, Tax Receiver Jeremiah Spring, Tax Collector A.D. Mattox, Surveyor Thos. B. Arline, Coroner Jas. A. Olliver, State Senator Wm. A. Harris and State Representative M. Simmons.

GHM 159-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

159-1