Historic Markers Across Alabama



Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: Off Gin Shop Hill Road on the hill overlooking the old mill.
County: Autauga
Coordinates: N 32° 27.558    W 086° 28.723
  32.4593    -86.47871666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFYT8
 



Text:

Daniel Pratt Cemetery


Final resting place of early Alabama industrialist Daniel Pratt, 1799-1873, and wife Ester Ticknor Pratt, 1803-1875. He was from New Hampshire and she, Connecticut. Married 1827 at Fortville, Jones County, Georgia.
The former carpenter's apprentice practiced his craft in Milledgeville, GA, where he gained skill in building and design. In 1832 Pratt came to Alabama to build cotton gins. Ester encouraged Pratt to remain in Alabama in order for him to establish a manufacturing complex and the village of Prattville, founded 1839.

In 1847 Pratt was the recipient of the University of Alabama's first honorary degree. His design strongly influenced the 1851 rebuilding of the State Capitol. Pratt served as a legislator during the Civil War period.
Daniel Pratt Historic District

Listed on the National Register 1984. Marker placed by Historic Prattville Redevelopment Authority and Autauga County Heritage Association for the City of Prattville.


George Cooke


Southern itinerant painter was born in Maryland in 1793; married Maria Heath of Virginia in 1815. His wide range of work included landscapes, portraits, and religious and historical subjects. Many of his works, including "Interior of St. Peter's- Rome," are owned by the University of Georgia.

Cooke studied in Europe, 1826-1831, where he met poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, a lifelong friend. Cooke's 1849 death occurred in New Orleans, he was buried here near the Pratt gallery which has displayed his art as a tribute to his life and work.

1994 by Alabama Historical Association.







End of Daniel Pratt Cemetery / George Cooke