Historic Markers Across Alabama



Happy Hollow



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: on E 6th St near Warren Cir., Prattville, AL
County: Autauga
Coordinates: N 32° 27.956    W 086° 27.643
  32.46593333    -86.46071666
Waymark: WMJQFW
 



Text:

Known as Fair Road, Sixth Street from Northington Street to the big curve was called "Happy Hollow." The road went to the Fair home place but also curved right, into Warren Circle. Here stood a small frame church where the congregation’s enthusiastic preaching, singing, and shouting led to the name Happy Hollow Church. Bethlehem Colored Methodist Episcopal was relocated in 1947 to Chestnut and Sixth, and renamed Bethlehem Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
Within the Hollow the "Spring," one of Prattville’s signature artesian wells, provided water for drinking, cooking, bathing and washing before the city had a central water system. The mail route ended at the home of Miss Molly Burt where all the neighbors picked up their mail. These gathering places made for a close-knit community.
A traditional African American neighborhood, the Hollow was home for domestic workers, farm laborers, landowners and sharecroppers. Descendants of these families became leaders in Prattville and beyond: educators, nurses, doctors, accountants, carpenters, armed forces and ministers.
Beloved as a place to grow up even in segregated times; black and white children could not go to school together but played together in the branch that runs the length of The Hollow.

[2010: Prattville]







End of Happy Hollow