Historic Markers Across Alabama



Saint Mark's Episcopal Church



Marker ID:  
Location: E 4th Street at S Washington St., Prattville, AL
County: Autauga
Coordinates: N 32° 27.754    W 086° 28.190
  32.46256666    -86.46983333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCXB2
 



Text:

Saint Mark's was organized in 1859 as a mission of the DiocesE of Alabama. Services were first held at the Presbyterian Church and in the old Court House. In December 1876, the congregation purchased an old wooden frame chapel from the Methodists and moved it to this site, where it was dedicated by Bishop Richard H. Wilmer on April 29, 1877. The baptismal font, pews, and church bell survive from that chapel. The present church building was completed in June 1909. The first service held in this structure was Morning Prayer on June 27. The first celebration of Holy Communion took place on July 25. The church was formally dedicated by Bishop Charles M. Beckwith on October 17. The small parish house west of the nave was built in 1953 and enlarged in 1966 and 1984. It is named in honor of the Chapman family. Miss Erin Chapman was credited with designing the 1909 building at the age of fifteen, and served as parish organist for more than forty years. The Fellowship Hall and Parish Education wing were dedicated by Bishop Robert O. Miller on April 14, 1996. TO THE ETERNAL GLORY OF GOD







End of Saint Mark's Episcopal Church