Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama



Marker ID:  
Location: 211 South Chestnut Street, Prattville, AL
County: Autauga
Coordinates: N 32° 27.671    W 086° 28.337
  32.46118333    -86.47228333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized 1846 by Pastor Wm. H. Mitchell, this congregation succeeded Millenium Hope Presbyterian, 2 mi. E. of town. Pastor Jas. K. Hazen (1861-77) married Mary Ticknor, niece of town founder, Daniel Pratt. They led in establishing orphanage, now Presbyterian Home for Children, Talladega. In 1867-68 Poet Sidney Lanier, principal of Prattville Male and Female Academy was church organist. Original Greek Revival church on Bridge St. was relocated and now houses First Missionary Baptist. The 1895 Victorian church on this site burned Jan. 1941. First worship services in the present modified Gothic building were held in Oct. of that year.

A founding congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America, 1973.

TO THE GLORY OF THE TRIUNE GOD



Erected 1996 by The Congregation. A Sesquicentennial Project.







End of First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama