Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Mound Line (Ellicott Line) Noble Leslie DeVotie School of Organic Education



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: At Fort Morgan, Dixie Graves Parkway (State Highway 180), Gulf Shores, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 59.781    W 087° 51.415
  30.99635    -87.85691666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Mound Line
(Ellicott Line)

Mile Mound #216 located 1200 feet East


Surveyed in 1799 to mark the 31° North Latitude, this line charted the first southern boundary of the United States, separating the U.S. from Spanish Florida. The line was marked at one-mile intervals by earthen mounds approximately fifteen-feet square and three-feet high with a charred lighter-pine post at the center, hence the name Mound Line.

Jointly surveyed by Major Andrew Ellicott, U.S. Commissioner, and Esteban Minor, Spanish Commissioner, to determine boundaries as agreed in the Treaty of San Lorenzo in 1795. The line began at the Mississippi River, ran east along 31° North Latitude to the Chattahoochee River, thence eventually to the Atlantic Ocean.

Stockton was divided by this line, with some residents living in the United States and some in Spanish Florida. Although Stockton became a "border town," U.S. law generally prevailed in the area.







End of The Mound Line (Ellicott Line) Noble Leslie DeVotie School of Organic Education