Historic Markers Across Alabama



City of Daphne



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: 1705 Main St, Daphne, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 36.159    W 087° 54.169
  30.60265    -87.90281666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQFDM
 



Text:

Side 1:

Incorporated July 8, 1927


The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. Its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks and Seminole Indians all lived in this area prior to 1557. In 1763, the community of Daphne was known simply as “the Village.” The town was officially established on April 9, 1874 and named by the first postmaster's wife after the laurel tree which was also called Daphne. The tree was abundant in this area at that time but population growth and development have now made it rare. In the early 1900s, several Italian families settled in Daphne and brought with them their expertise in agriculture and other areas. The architecture of City Hall reflects a modern version of Italian Renaissance style. The names of streets and businesses surrounding it give further evidence of Daphne's connection to the old world. Sculpture by Frances J. Neumann was dedicated September 24, 2008. In 2008, Daphne’s population was approximately 18,000.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Daphne
September 2010


Side 2:

Incorporated July 8, 1927


The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. Its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks and Seminole Indians all lived in this area prior to 1557. In 1763, the community of Daphne was known simply as “the Village.” The town was officially established on April 9, 1874 and named by the first postmaster's wife after the laurel tree which was also called Daphne. The tree was abundant in this area at that time but population growth and development have now made it rare. In the early 1900s, several Italian families settled in Daphne and brought with them their expertise in agriculture and other areas. The architecture of City Hall reflects a modern version of Italian Renaissance style. The names of streets and businesses surrounding it give further evidence of Daphne's connection to the old world. Sculpture by Frances J. Neumann was dedicated September 24, 2008. In 2008, Daphne’s population was approximately 18,000.

Erected by the Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Daphne
September 2010








End of City of Daphne