Historic Markers Across Alabama



Gulf Shores Community



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: at the intersection of Sutton Place and Gulf Place, Gulf Shores, Alabama
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 14.867    W 087° 41.405
  30.24778333    -87.69008333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDM12
 



Text:

Side 1:
Early Alabama Gulf Coast individuals and families were mariners, fishermen, boat builders, salt miners, and turpentine harvesters living off the sea and land. They were largely self-sufficient and often at the mercy of Mother Nature. The diversity of this small marine community influenced and continues to enrich life in Gulf Shores today.

Real estate and business visionaries such as George C. Meyer brought a fresh perspective to an area that was considered by many to be unusable land. They encouraged the infrastructure growth necessary to support residents, visitors and businesses year-round. Through generous donations from Erie Hall Meyer and the George C. Meyer Foundation, combined with the efforts of community leaders as well as state and federal officials, Gulf Shores offers outstanding amenities, making this small town a popular coastal resort destination on the Alabama Gulf Coast.



Side 2:
Schools, churches, shops, parks and cultural events make Gulf Shores a great place to work, live, or retire. Officially designated “Pleasure Island” in 1949 by Governor Jim Folsom, the 32 miles of white sandy beaches has been a prime fishing and golf destination for Alabamians and other tourists since roads were built to bring them here!

“Living off the sea and land,
Enjoying all the surf and sand”









End of Gulf Shores Community