Historic Markers Across Alabama



Daphne United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 1515 6th Avenue, Daphne, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 22.034    W 087° 32.686
  30.36723333    -87.54476666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This church and cemetery have been in continuous service by the citizens of this area since the 1840's. Originally named "Methodist Episcopal Church South."

Land donated by William L. Howard. Building built by L. E. Edmondson and a Creole helper, Isaac Alexander, who hand made the pegs used in the framework. Oldest marked grave is 1847. Building still houses the slave gallery, silver- dollar lined bell, original pews and the original chandelier converted to electricity. Many generations have knelt in prayer here.







End of Daphne United Methodist Church