Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Springs



Marker ID:  
Location: within The Springs Park about 100 yards distance from the parking area located across from Oak Street on Magnolia Springs Highway, Magnolia Springs, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 24.132    W 088° 46.145
  30.4022    -88.76908333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Old tales have it that early explorers and even pirate vessels obtained potable water from springs scattered throughout the community of Magnolia Springs. This park is located at the largest of dozens of springs in the area.

In 1865 The Springs played a part in history by refreshing and restoring battle worn Federal troops traveling from the fallen Fort Morgan to Spanish Fort and Old Blakeley.

While building a log and timber bridge over Magnolia River, many of the Yankee soldiers camped on land surrounding the Breed Plantation Home, a colonial home on property bordering this park.

In gratitude to the Baldwin County Commission for "The Springs" Restoration Project working in conjunction with the Town of Magnolia Springs and Magnolia Springs Garden Club Project received the "2009 Gulf Guardian Award" Sponsored by Gulf of Mexico Program.

Erected by Town of Magnolia Springs.







End of The Springs