Historic Markers Across Alabama



Peace Magazine (1902-1924)



Marker ID:  
Location: on the grounds of Fort Morgan State Historic Park, 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 13.775    W 088° 0.845
  30.22958333    -88.01408333
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

When Fort Morgan was modified between the 1890’s and early 1900’s, an allocation of $7,000.00 was made to build a “Peace” magazine. This building was the central storage area for the powder used by the fort’s guns. If war was expected, the powder was to be moved to the better protected magazines of each gun battery.

Work was begun on the copper-roofed magazine in January 1902 and completed by the end of the year. The building was used until the post was abandoned in 1924. The building remained largely intact until Hurricane Frederic in 1979 tore the roof from the building and collapsed the upper brick work.







End of Peace Magazine (1902-1924)