Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Citadel / (1821-1865)



Marker ID:  
Location: in Fort Morgan State Historic Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 Highway 180 West, Gulf Shores, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 13.711    W 088° 1.366
  30.22851666    -88.02276666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Citadel, a large ten sided brick and wood structure, once dominated the Fort’s parade ground. Capable of housing 400 soldiers, it served as a defensive barracks for the Fort’s garrison.

During the Union bombardment of Fort Morgan on August 22nd, 1864 the Citadel roof caught fire and burned out of control. Following the Civil War the structure’s gutted ruins were demolished.







End of The Citadel / (1821-1865)