Historic Markers Across Alabama



Ector's Brigade



Marker ID:  
Location: on Artillery Range Rd, Spanish Fort, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 41.056    W 087° 54.790
  30.68426666    -87.91316666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTXK6
 



Text:

Ector's Brigade



Ector's Infantry Brigade occupied the earthworks on the Confederate left flank during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Col. David Coleman was temporarily in command of the brigade. The 29th and 39th NC Infantry Regiments were on the brigade’s right. On the left were the Texas Regiments if the 9th TX Infantry and the 10th, 14th, and 32nd TX (dismounted) Cavalry were on the brigade's right. At dusk on April 8, 1865, Lt. Col. William Bell's 8th Iowa breached the far left of the Confederate line. After seeing the initial success the Union's 3rd Brigade commander, Col. James Geddes, ordered Lt. Col. Andrew Rogers' 81st Illinois to support the assault. The North Carolina troops along with 100 Provost Guards made a desperate counterattack that stabilized the Confederate line. Provost Marshall Capt. Alfred Clarke was mortally wounded while leading this counterattack. General Gibson quickly realized that his entire garrison was in jeopardy of being cut off from their only escape route to the Blakeley River, so he decided to evacuate the earthworks during the night.

Erected by Sons of Confederate Veterans
Admiral Semmes Camp 11.







End of Ector's Brigade