Historic Markers Across Alabama



Holtzclaw's Brigade / Confederate Redoubt No. 4



Marker ID:  
Location: on Spanish Main St west of Cavalry Charge, Spanish Fort, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 40.899    W 087° 54.679
  30.68165    -87.91131666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTXJX
 



Text:

Holtzclaw's Brigade



Brig. Gen. James Holtzclaw's Alabama Infantry Brigade occupied the center of the Confederate line during the Battle of Spanish Fort. The brigade was positioned between Battery Blair and the Sandbag Battery. The 38th AL Infantry was on the brigade's right, posted next to Battery Blair. To its left was the 21st AL Infantry followed by the 18th AL Infantry. On the left side of Red Fort was the 32nd/58th consolidated AL Infantry, followed by the 36th Infantry.


Confederate Redoubt No. 4


Redoubt No. 4 was part of the Confederate line known as Red Fort. Capt. John Phillip’s Tennessee Light Artillery manned the redoubt until they were relieved on April 4, 1865 by Garrity's Alabama Light Artillery. Lt. Henry Carrell temporally commanded Garrity’s Battery during the battle. The redoubt was armed with two 12-pounder Napoleons, one 12-pounder howitzer and two mortars.


Erected by Sons of Confederate Veterans
Admiral Semmes Camp 11.







End of Holtzclaw's Brigade / Confederate Redoubt No. 4