Historic Markers Across Alabama



Confederate Redoubt No. 5



Marker ID:  
Location: on Artillery Range St north of Yankee Trove, Spanish Fort, AL
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 30° 41.056    W 087° 54.790
  30.68426666    -87.91316666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTXK0
 



Text:

Confederate Redoubt No. 5


Also called the Sandbag Battery, Redoubt No. 5 was originally commanded by Lt. Andrew Hargrove of Lumsden's Tuscaloosa Battery, Company F, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery Battalion. During the early stages of the battle, Lumsden's Battery was relocated 200 yards west of this location in order to strengthen the far left of the Confederate line. Afterwards, the same artillerists that manned Redoubt No. 4 also manned the Sandbag Battery. The redoubt was armed with four 3-inch ordinance rifles. Lumsden's new location was armed with three mortars and four 6-pounder cannons. The men jokingly referred to these guns as ‘popguns.” Capt. Thomas Perry's Marion (Florida) Light Artillery relieved Lumsden's Battery on April 6, 1865.

Erected by Sons of Confederate Veterans
Admiral Semmes Camp 11.







End of Confederate Redoubt No. 5