Historic Markers Across Alabama



Side 2: Young and Dent



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: 917 West Barbour Street, Eufaula AL
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 53.524    W 085° 9.419
  31.89206666    -85.15698333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Edward Brown Young, a native of New York City, and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, of Warren County, Georgia, settled in Eufaula in 1837 where he began a career as a banker, merchant, and entrepreneur. Young organized the company which built the first bridge across the Chattahoochee River at Eufaula, founded successful banks and other commercial enterprises, and served as first chairman of the trustees of Union Female College. He also sponsored the change of the town's name from Irwinton to its original Creek name of Eufaula. The Young's daughter, Anna Beall, married Stouten Hubert Dent, who was born in Charles County, Maryland, and moved to Eufaula in 1854 where he taught school and later practiced law. During the War Between the States he rose to the rank of Captain, commanded "Dent's Alabama Battery" of artillery in the Army of Tennessee and was wounded at Shiloh and near Nashville and Atlanta. Following the War he resumed his law practice, became president of the Eufaula National Bank, served as a trustee of what is now the University of Montevallo and was a delegate to the Alabama Constitutional Convention of 1901.

(Erected 1990)



Notes:

Two sided marker (Fendall Hall)



End of Side 2: Young and Dent