Historic Markers Across Alabama



Eufaula



Marker ID: AHA 
Location: North Eufaula Avenue (Highway 431)
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31 54.020    W 085 8.71
  31.90033333    -85.14516666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJHT
 



Text:

Eufaula
Incorporated, December 19, 1857
Bluff City on the Chattahoochee


Lower Creek village of the Eufaula Indians antedating 1733. Early white settlers began moving into the village called Yufala in 1823. Irwinton was chartered in 1832, and was renamed Eufaula in 1843. Since it was a hub of a prosperous plantation region with thriving river trade, many antebellum homes remain as signs of its wealth and culture. After becoming an inland port in 1963, industries began locating here.







End of Eufaula