Historic Markers Across Alabama



Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Barbour County Courthouse lawn, Clayton, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 52.699    W 085° 26.992
  31.87831666    -85.44986666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFM22
 



Text:

SIDE 1: Barbour County
On this site in 1833 was erected the first Barbour County Courthouse, a round log building 20 feet square. The first county seat was located at Louisville which had previously served as the county seat of Pike. This old Pike County Courthouse was temporarily used until the site was changed to Clayton. The first circuit court was held in Clayton on September 23, 1833. Barbour County was created by an act of the Legislature meeting in the state capitol of Tuscaloosa on December 18, 1832. It was one of the political subdivisions carved out of the land ceded by the Creek Indians under the Treaty of March 1832.

SIDE 2: Early Barbour County Commissioners
Eleven Commissioners were appointed to select a centrally located site for a permanent seat-of-justice to be named Clayton, in honor of Augustin S. Clayton, a distinguished jurist of Georgia who represented his state in Congress from 1831-1835. The commissioners appointed by the Alabama Legislature were Jacob Utery, Daniel McKensey, William Cadenhead, James A. Head, William Norton, William Bush, Green Beauchamp, Samuel G. B. Adams, Noah B. Cole, Robert Richards and T. W. Pugh.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.







End of Barbour County / Early Barbour County Commissioners