Historic Markers Across Alabama



Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/ Pea River Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on Highway 51 approximately 5 miles south of Louisville, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 44.309    W 085° 36.201
  31.73848333    -85.60335
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPRJB
 



Text:

SIDE 1: Barbour County's "Little Scotland"
In the 1820s before the Creek Indian Cession, Scot immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, settled this area of west Barbour County. Few other regions outside the motherland of Scotland have had a larger proportion of people bearing the names of the great Highland clans. Between 1823-1860 within a five mile radius of Pea River Church, Highlanders with the names of Baxter, Currie, McCall, McDonald, McEachern, McInnis, McKay, McKinnon, McLean, McLendon, McLeod, McNeal, and McRae lived. The families, serving the Lord, earned for the area the name "Little Scotland."

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Pea River Presbyterian Church, 1993.

SIDE 2: Pea River Presbyterian Church
In 1823, immigrants from Richmond County, North Carolina, established the Pea River Presbyterian Church. Pea River was organized with fifteen members, eleven unnamed women and four men. The men were Gilbert McEachern, Daniel Currie, Alex McRae and Farquhuar McRae. Daniel Currie was chosen First Clerk of Session. Gilbert McEachern and Farquhuar McRae were chosen Ruling Elders. Pea River is the mother church to Clio, Louisville, and Union (Dale County) Presbyterian Churches.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Pea River Presbyterian Church, 1993.







End of Barbour County's "Little Scotland"/ Pea River Presbyterian Church