Historic Markers Across Alabama



Bethel Primitive Baptist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: east of Blue Springs on Bethel Road .8 mile S. of Highway 10 near mile marker 203.
County: Barbour
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Organized and constituted April 11, 1835. A committee called brethren John Tew and Solomon Sikes as presbyters. The presbyters, finding the brethren orthodox in faith, constituted a church which they named Bethel. Founders migrated from Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia to the Blue Springs Community. The church was housed in a log or frame building, 1835-1962, which was bricked in 1962. The fellowship hall and baptistery were built in 1972. Some elders were: M. W. Helms; Aaron Helms, served 30-40 years; W. M. Baxley; L. H. Stucky; S. W. Etheridge; R. K. Blackshear; Thomas McGowan; C. L. Waldrop; F.A. Averette, Jr., served 10 years; George Vickers; Casey Houston and Fred Griffith.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, And Descendants of Elder Aaron Helms, 1989.








End of Bethel Primitive Baptist Church