Historic Markers Across Alabama



Blue Springs School 1920-1969



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: the intersetion of AL Hwy 10 and Barbour County road 41, Blue Springs, AL
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 39.625    W 085° 29.312
  31.66041666    -85.48853333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKBZ
 



Text:

The Blue Springs School was first established in 1920. The land was donated by Henry H. Sheppard. The plans were drawn by the State School architect. The lumber was donated by citizens of the community and prepared at A. S. Knight's sawmill. Other financial needs were donated by local citizens, county board of education, and state aid for schoolhouse construction. Old Bethel, Anderson, and Old Blue Springs were consolidated to form the new school. The school was opened in 1921 for the first year of teaching in the consolidated building. In addition to academics, the students were taught high moral standards, honesty, love, respect for God, country, and each other. The first trustees were: Dr. J. D. McLaughlin, Chairman; N. B. Parmer; G. C. Reeder; and A. F. Scarborough.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Blue Springs School Alumni Association, 1999.








End of Blue Springs School 1920-1969