Historic Markers Across Alabama



Eufaula First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at 101 East Barbour Street (U.S. Highway 82), Eufaula, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 53.477    W 085° 8.736
  31.89128333    -85.1456
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8EDY
 



Text:

The origins of this church date back to 1834 when Methodists, under the leadership of Jesse Burch and others, met to worship and formed a Sunday School. A frame Greek Revival edifice, at the corner of Livingston and Barbour Streets, was completed in 1838 and used until 1873 when it was sold to the Jewish congregation. In 1875 a new brick house of worship was built at the corner of Eufaula and Barbour Streets. It was razed in 1914 and the existing Gothic Revival church building was completed in 1917. The adjacent administration building, formerly the parsonage, was constructed in 1881.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Eufaula First United Methodist Church, 1996.








End of Eufaula First United Methodist Church