Historic Markers Across Alabama



First Baptist Church of Eufaula



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at 125 South Randolph Street, Eufaula, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 53.691    W 085° 08.626
  31.89485    -85.14376666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJHP
 



Text:

Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First Baptist Church of Eufaula. The church met temporarily in the male academy at the Northwest corner of Union and Livingston Streets. In 1841 a new church building was erected at the Northwest corner of Union and Forsyth Streets. The second church was built at this location and was dedicated on November 5, 1871. The building was destroyed by fire caused by lightning on August 12, 1907 and rebuilt using the same exterior walls without the steeple.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the First Baptist Church, 2001.








End of First Baptist Church of Eufaula