Historic Markers Across Alabama



Fort Browder / The 15th Alabama Infantry



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: US Highway 82 in the Batesville Community , Barbour County, Alabama
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 32° 00.937    W 085° 18.685
  32.01561666    -85.31141666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFMZE
 



Text:

SIDE 1: FORT BROWDER
Approximately one mile south-southeast of here stood Fort Browder, a small wooden fortification built in 1836 for protection in the last war with the Creek Indians and named for Isham Browder, a prominent local planter. In 1861, the fort witnessed the formation of a Confederate infantry company known as the Fort Browder Roughs initially commanded by Captain Moses Worthington. The Roughs were subsequently enrolled as Company D, 15th Alabama Infantry. Of the 106 officers and men of Company D, 21 were killed in battle (including 1 captain and 2 lieutenants), 46 were wounded but survived, and 26 died of disease.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapter 2669, Captain S. H. Dent


SIDE 2: THE 15TH ALABAMA INFANTRY
The 15th Alabama was recruited from Barbour, Dale, Henry, Macon, Pike, and Russell Counties and organized at Ft. Mitchell in Russell County in the summer of 1861. The unit fought in many skirmishes and battles including:

Winchester, Va. May 25, 1862 Cross Keys, Va. June 8, 1862 Cold Harbor, Va. June 27, 1862 Malvern Hill, Va. July 2, 1862 Cedar Mountain, Va. Aug. 9, 1862 Second Manassas, Va. Aug. 28-30, 1862 Chantilly, Va. Sept. 1, 1862 Shaprsburg, Md. Sept. 17, 1862 Fredericksburg, Va. Dec. 13, 1862 Gettysburg, Pa. July 2-3, 1863 Chickamauga, Ga. Sept. 19-20, 1863 Wilderness, Va. May 6, 1864 Spotsylvania CH, Va. May 8-19, 1864 North Anna, Va. May 25, 1864 2nd Cold Harbor, Va. June 3, 1864 Vicinity of Petersburg, Va. June 1864-April 1865

Of the 1,612 officers and men who joined the 15th Alabama, 279 were killed in battle, 599 were wounded and 459 died of disease. Only 172 remained to surrender with General Lee at Appomattox CH on April 9, 1865.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #486, Dent's Artillery








End of Fort Browder / The 15th Alabama Infantry