Historic Markers Across Alabama



General Grierson's March



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Located in park median at the crest of the hill on West Broad Street, Eufaula, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 53.578    W 085° 9.14
  31.89296666    -85.15233333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJTF
 



Text:

This road marks the entrance into Eufaula of Federal troops on April 29, 1865. Lee had surrendered at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9. General Benjamin H. Grierson was advancing with four thousand cavalry from Mobile and was then about at Louisville. He had not heard of Lee's surrender. Masters Edward Young and Edward Stern, mounted on horses and bearing flags of truce, were at once dispatched out this road, the direct route from Clayton, to meet General Grierson. They met General Grierson at six-mile branch, delivered the message, and returned. Then Dr. C. J. Pope, Mayor, and a committee of City Councilmen rode out to meet the Federal General and cavalry, leading them back into town down Broad Street and across the Chattahoochee to camp at Harrison’s Mill near Georgetown, Georgia.

The town never surrendered. Though Eufaula remained under Federal military restriction about 4 to 5 months, good order prevailed and all private rights were respected.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.








End of General Grierson's March