Historic Markers Across Alabama



Grace Episcopal Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on South Midway Street in Clayton, Alabama
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 52.624    W 085° 26.992
  31.87706666    -85.44986666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKVE
 



Text:

This church had its origins in a mission station established by the Reverend J. L. Gay in 1844. On May 10, 1872 the mission was formally accepted in the Diocese of Alabama as Grace Church. Construction of a church building began in 1875 on a lot owned by General Henry Delamar Clayton and his wife Victoria. The Gothic Revival style building was completed on February 26, 1876 at which time the lot was deeded by the Claytons to the Protestant Episcopal Church of the State of Alabama. Bishop Richard J. Wilmer formally consecrated the church on November 14, 1876. The mission and church have been served by the Reverends Thomas J. Bland, DeBerniere Waddell, E. W. Spalding, as well as others.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends of Grace Episcopal Church, 1995.








End of Grace Episcopal Church