Historic Markers Across Alabama



Hart House



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: in the median across the street from the Hart House, 211 North Eufaula, Avenue, Eufaula, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 53.682    W 085° 08.745
  31.8947    -85.14575
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJH9
 



Text:

Built by John Hart about 1850, the Hart House is recognized as an outstanding example of pure Greek Revival architecture. Hart (c. 1805-1863) moved from New Hampshire and became a prominent merchant and farmer. When constructed, the house was on the western edge of the town. The Hart House was one of only five Eufaula buildings recorded by the Historic American Building Survey in 1935. It was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1973 as part of the Seth Lore Historic District. The building was purchased by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission for use as its headquarters on October 16, 1985.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1986.








End of Hart House