Historic Markers Across Alabama



Miller-Martin Townhouse



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at 62 Louisville Avenue Highway 51 South) in Clayton, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 52.503    W 085° 27.129
  31.87505    -85.45215
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKV9
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
John H. Miller built this Gothic Revival town house in 1859. He and his wife moved from Orangeburg, South Carolina to Barbour County in the early 1830's, settling in an area which would become known as the Tabernacle Community. He later purchased a tract of land in Clayton on which this house was constructed. It is noteworthy for the hand painted murals on the entrance hall ceiling which depict The Four Seasons as well as other designs on the parlor and dining room ceilings. This work has been attributed to an artist named Massillon. The townhouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in December 1974.

Erected by Charles and Wanda Sewell and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.

SIDE 2:
John Council Martin and Alice Floyd Martin purchased the home in 1915 and reared their four daughters, Mildred, Alice, Jonnie and Leila there. The property was inherited by daughter, Alice Martin Anderson in 1964. Her daughter, Ann Floyd Martin Miller, donated the property to the Clayton Historical Preservation Authority in 1983. In 1998, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Sewell purchased and extensively renovated the townhouse.

Erected by Charles and Wanda Sewell and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1999.








End of Miller-Martin Townhouse