Historic Markers Across Alabama



The Old County Courthouse



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on Alabama Highway 51, Louisville, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 47.278    W 085° 33.158
  31.78796666    -85.55263333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFKBF
 



Text:

Near this site stood the old Pike County Courthouse which was the county seat of Pike from 1822 to 1827. It also served as the temporary county seat of the newly created Barbour County in 1833-when Clayton was selected. Louisville was settled before 1822 by Daniel Lewis, for whom it is named. Two-fifths of the new county of Barbour, including Louisville, was taken from old Pike. The first road in this area led from Louisville to Williamston to Franklin on the Chattahoochee River.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1978.







End of The Old County Courthouse