Historic Markers Across Alabama



Old Negro Cemetery/Fairview Cemetery



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on the east side of North Randolph Avenue, Eufaula, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 54.177    W 085° 08.535
  31.90295    -85.14225
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJT4
 



Text:

SIDE 1: Old Negro Cemetery
Interred on this gently sloping hillside are the remains of many of Eufaula's early black citizens. Their names are known only to God because the wooden grave markers which located the burials have long since vanished. This burying ground was used until about 1870 when black interments were moved to Pine Grove Cemetery. In addition to the "Old Negro Cemetery", there are at least five other graveyards including the Jewish, Presbyterian, Masonic, Odd Fellows and Public which are part of present day Fairview Cemetery.

Erected by the City of Eufaula and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1991.

SIDE 2: Fairview Cemetery
The earliest burials in this cemetery date from Eufaula's pioneer days in the late 1830’s and early 1840’s. Formerly known as the "Old Cemetery", this public burial ground has been expanded through land purchases and the consolidation of other cemeteries including the Jewish, Presbyterian, Masonic, Odd Fellows and Negro. At the suggestion of his daughter, Claude Hill, Mayor P. B. McKenzie named the cemetery "Fairview" about 1895. The iron fence which borders the property on North Randolph Avenue was salvaged from Union Female College.

Erected by the City of Eufaula and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1991.







End of Old Negro Cemetery/Fairview Cemetery