Historic Markers Across Alabama



Providence Methodist Church and Schoolhouse



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: near the Batesville Community at US Highway 82 and County Road 79 in Barbour County, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 32° 00.937    W 085° 18.685
  32.01561666    -85.31141666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFM9Y
 



Text:

SIDE 1:
In 1828, Reverend John Wesley Norton left his native South Carolina with his family and a wagon train of followers, crossed into the Creek Indian Nation and just into the edge of what was then Pike County, settling near the present town of Clayton, Alabama. He was then in the bounds of, or in proximity to, the Chattahoochee Circuit of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was quite an acquisition to the young and struggling circuit in that newly settled section on the borders of the Indian tribes.


SIDE 2:
In 1835, Reverend John Wesley Norton located near Batesville and established the Providence Methodist Church and School which thrived for many years until his death in 1862. Located four miles south, only the Providence Cemetery remains where Reverend Norton, his wife Nancy Phillips Norton, and many of his church members and neighbors rest in peace. He was a man of few tears, solid piety, true benevolence and spotless character. He was a real pioneer and his death inflicted an irreparable loss upon those he left behind.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Norton Family Association, 1997.








End of Providence Methodist Church and Schoolhouse