Historic Markers Across Alabama



Spring Hill United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: on the south side of Barbour County Road 89 just west of the intersection of 89 and County Road 49 in the community of Spring Hill, Alabama.
County: Barbour
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This Greek Revival church was built in 1841 by John Fletcher Comer with lumber from his mill. The building originally had a slave balcony and exterior stairway which were removed c. 1890. At the same time, the pulpit was moved from between the two entrance doors to the rear of the church. There were 104 members in 1872 that included 32 men and 72 women. In 1899, a deed for twenty acres was issued by the Comer Family to the church. The property contained the church, cemetery and land for a school. Today the church and cemetery are maintained, in part, with monies from a trust established through Avondale Mills, the Comer family business.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Spring Hill United Methodist Church, 1997.








End of Spring Hill United Methodist Church