Historic Markers Across Alabama



Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot



Marker ID: ABT 
Location: the median of East Broad Street, Eufaula, AL
County: Barbour
Coordinates: N 31° 53.586    W 085° 08.408
  31.8931    -85.14013333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMFJHJ
 



Text:

Side 1:
The Southwestern Railroad of Georgia was the first rail line to connect with Eufaula when the railroad bridge between Georgetown, Georgia and Eufaula was completed in late 1865. In 1867 the Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad Company was formed to build a line from Eufaula to Meridian, Mississippi. By 1871, 21 miles of track had been completed to Clayton, Alabama. The Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad passenger and freight depot opened in 1872 and that same year the line was leased by the Southwestern Railroad of Georgia. By 1879 the line was up for sale at foreclosure proceedings and was purchased by the Central Railroad and Banking Company of Georgia. Due to the poor condition of the combination Vicksburg & Brunswick Railroad passenger and freight depot, The Central Railroad of Georgia built a new passenger depot in 1889. At about the same time, the Central of Georgia Freight Depot was completed just to the west of the passenger depot. The passenger depot remained in service until the early 1950's when it was razed. The freight depot was utilized by the Central of Georgia Railroad until the late 1980's when it was abandoned.


Side 2:
This facility was originally constructed about 1889 as the Central of Georgia Railroad Freight Depot. Abandoned in the late 1980's, the City of Eufaula acquired the building from the Central of Georgia and began plans to adaptively rehabilitate it for use as a multi-purpose facility to house the Eufaula-Barbour County Chamber of Commerce, Eufaula-Barbour County Tourism Council, Main Street Eufaula and the Barbour County Interpretative Center. Under the leadership of Mayor Jay Jaxon and former House Speaker James S. Clark, in cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce and Eufaula-Barbour County Historic Foundation, more than $1 million was raised for this project. Renovation work began in 1999 and the building was occupied by the Chamber on March 1, 2002. On April 15, 2002 the Eufaula City Council unanimously endorsed a resolution to name the facility the James S. Clark Center. The dedication ceremony and grand opening of the building took place on April 16, 2002. The former freight depot is included within the boundaries of the Seth Lore and Irwinton Historic District. The Center is now the starting point for Eufaula Rails to Trails program which follows a portion of the old railroad bed in close proximity to Lake Eufaula and on to historic Old Creek Town Park.










End of Central Railroad of Georgia Freight Depot