Historic Markers Across Alabama



Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site



Marker ID: AHC 
Location: intersection of Montevallo Road (State Highway 25) and Six Mile School Road, Six Mile, Alabama.
County: Bibb
Coordinates: N 33° 0.457    W 087° 0.334
  33.00761666    -87.00556666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

← 300 Yards


Incorporated in 1859 though organized earlier and operated continuously through 1897. First trustees were William P. Thomas, Leroy T. McGuire, Ezekiel C. Smith, Simpson W. Hederick and Pulaski Wallace. A noted center of learning in Bibb County reaching its greatest prominence under the leadership of Capt. Richard H. Pratt who served as headmaster from 1858-1961 when he joined Confederate Army and from 1872-1896. Original buildings burned in 1897, were replaced following year and name changed to Six Mile Normal Institute.

(Erected by Bibb County Heritage Association, 1982)










End of Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site